New England F-Body
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question about TBs

Go down 
+5
1sicws6
02ceta1846
84ta406
midnight_effect
NAVY01Z
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NAVY01Z

NAVY01Z

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-03-29

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 12:35 am

Ok, so I'm currently looking at getting a BBK 90MM TB and a SLP MAF from a member at LS1Tech. My cousin said that I need to be careful tho because they might not fit with the stock bellow. Is this true? I have an SLP lid and pretty much factory after that. I know that changing the TB and MAF will drastically help my air flow but I dont want to drop the money if they are not going to fit. This maybe a stupd question but since I'm not so motor savvy when someone tells me that something wontfit well then its time for research. So any help would be great or other suggestions.

Mike
Back to top Go down
midnight_effect
Administrator
Administrator
midnight_effect

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 4:03 am

well changing the TB if your near stock at this point is pointless, upping the size wont change much, and i it was my understanding that the intake needed to be changed as well if your getting a larger TB

a diff maf is pointless as ive also been told the stock maf is good for like 600+hp (maybe more than that)

again i dont know what mods you have but you said all you have is a lid. I did the SLP Smooth Bellows with mine...do those, and have your TB ported vs spending money on this now. i honestly dont think it will help that much
Back to top Go down
http://www.nefbody.org
84ta406

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 4:53 am

Stock MAF is good for 600-700hp and just port the TB a bit. I see s many cars use the FAST 90mm TB and its a waste on a bolt on N/A car IMO.
Back to top Go down
02ceta1846

Number of posts : 4

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 10:58 am

Werd I just ported my TB and you can def feel the difference. Tokk all of a couple hours to get it to a mirror finish with no more lip in front of the blade.
Back to top Go down
midnight_effect
Administrator
Administrator
midnight_effect

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:13 am

for example my current mods include:

SLP Lid, K&N, SLP Smooth Bellows, Pacesetter LTs, TSP ORY, TSP Rumbler catback, after Don tuned it i left with 325hp 350tq

he told me if i got a high temp thermostat, underdrive pulley, and ported my TB, id be looking at 345hp and a bit more torque

changing everything over to 90mm is when you start throwin down some big boy horsepower
Back to top Go down
1sicws6

1sicws6

Number of posts : 35

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:39 am

so my brother should get a fast 90? because hes pushing 524/600
Back to top Go down
84ta406

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:50 am

Damn those are good #'s. The FAST 90 is better off with a high HP car like that where it needs to breathe better.
Back to top Go down
1sicws6

1sicws6

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:51 am

its either 524/600 or 560/600 on 10psi
Back to top Go down
84ta406

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:54 am

Procharger?
Back to top Go down
1sicws6

1sicws6

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:55 am

STS turbo

sorry for hijacking ur thread Embarassed
Back to top Go down
84ta406

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:59 am

Woops I thought it was your thread. So umm yeah ported TB's are nice.
Back to top Go down
1sicws6

1sicws6

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 12:09 pm

yeah ported tb are nice. who wants to do mine lol becuase if I do ill mess up
Back to top Go down
My84Z

My84Z

Number of posts : 47

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 2:29 pm

A 90mm tb will not work with a stock intake you need a 90mm intake cause the opening isn't big enough. On a forced induction car for the most part you should use the big 90mm with the carb style intake or just leave a ls6 with a ported stock tb. all the others really won't make any difference. Let slowhawk know he will probably port your tb for around 100 bucks and you will gain a decent amount of power some have gotten 10 rwhp
Back to top Go down
My84Z

My84Z

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 2:30 pm

Also you can get smooth bellows at home depot called a fernco hose for plumbing all you do is put it in hot water to make it go on easier then slide it on
Back to top Go down
midnight_effect
Administrator
Administrator
midnight_effect

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 7:01 pm

Don quoted me $75 i think to port it, ill be sending mine in to have him do it soon after the thermostat and underdrive pulley are installed.
Back to top Go down
NAVY01Z

NAVY01Z

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:06 pm

OK so have it ported, get a smooth bellow from Home Depot and leave the maf alone. When you say change the intake do you mean the manifold on top of the motor because I thought the 01-02 Z28s had a better one on there already. Right now it's the lid, CAI, and the K&N. The cam, Kooks headers and ypipe, undrive pulley, clutch, flywheel and sfcs go on in April and then it's getting tuned. Should I go ahead and have the tb ported before hand or can I do it after. And whats with some people descreening the maf? I guess I just want to make sure the car isbreathing better once everything else is in. Oh and Slowhawk is on here or at LS1Tech?
Back to top Go down
My84Z

My84Z

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:19 pm

Yes I mean on top the motor cause if you use a bigger then I believe 72mm or 78 somthing like that the tb will be too big and intake not enough. The ls6 is a good enough intake for the most part till your ready for a 90/90 or a carb style. descreening the maf is pointless but if you never plan on going fi you can do it
Back to top Go down
midnight_effect
Administrator
Administrator
midnight_effect

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:24 pm

yes the intake is the manifold on top. when you change to a larger TB, the intake opening needs to be changed to support that..01-02 had the LS6 intake yes but not a 90mm intake.

only thing i would do to the MAF is *CAREFULLY* clean it, the dirt can actually cause the car to lean out.

i would go ahead and have it ported before you get it tuned, its going to make a difference, mines not but thats what ive been told. however it doesnt matter in what order you install the mods you have listed, just make sure its there before the tune, maybe install all that and send it over to Don, have him port the TB and tune it all in one shot. i believe they even weld in the SFC's for $75 as well, dont hold me to that though

DO NOT descreen your MAF, your looking for trouble IMO doing that and not gaining a whole hell of a lot. i actually have a book that suggests descreening but you wouldnt catch me doing it, especially not around NE

ported tb, smooth bellows, clean the MAF, and she wont have any trouble at all breathing.

As Don can tell you from our adventure, when doing the headers PLEASE make sure you do the O2's right lol.
Back to top Go down
NAVY01Z

NAVY01Z

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:27 pm

What if I get the LS2 intake. It says at Speedinc that it accepts 90mm tbs. Will that one help or should I just stick with the stock and port the tb. BTW thanks or all the help.
Back to top Go down
NAVY01Z

NAVY01Z

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:30 pm

The plan is to have ESP do the install of everything. I will try and get ahold of Don and see how much it would cost to port it. The sfcs I got are weld in but ESP included them in the intall price with everything else.
Back to top Go down
midnight_effect
Administrator
Administrator
midnight_effect

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:33 pm

ah ok, they might be your best bet if your already getting it tuned...

as far as the LS2 intake, as weve said, until you start putting down some big numbers i really dont think its going to benefit you a whole hell of a lot. be more money than worth for the gain if any
Back to top Go down
My84Z

My84Z

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:40 pm

goodluck with eastside lol
Back to top Go down
NAVY01Z

NAVY01Z

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:42 pm

midnight_effect wrote:
ah ok, they might be your best bet if your already getting it tuned...

as far as the LS2 intake, as weve said, until you start putting down some big numbers i really dont think its going to benefit you a whole hell of a lot. be more money than worth for the gain if any

Got it. Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
1sicws6

1sicws6

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 12:25 am

how bad does the ls2 hurt you in hp gains
Back to top Go down
midnight_effect
Administrator
Administrator
midnight_effect

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 12:28 am

i dont think it would hurt you...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Question about TBs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about TBs   Question about TBs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about TBs
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New England F-Body :: F-Body Specific :: 4th Gen-
Jump to: